Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Ch, Ch, Ch, Chia!

Have you ever heard of Chia Seeds?
 
Yea...I'm sure you have.



Isn't that cute!

Did you know that you can eat chia seeds?

My daughter & I had been wanting to try overnight oatmeal. If your on Pinterest I'm sure you have seen it.
We checked out the recipe & noticed that it called for chia seeds.

Chia seeds?? Really??

I had no idea you could eat them!
I did a little research & found out that they are really good for you!

Chia seeds are high in calcium, fiber, omega 3's, antioxidants, & protein.

Chia seeds have been around for a long time. They were a staple food for the Aztecs & Myans. Now they are making a comeback due to their health benefits.

You can use chia seeds in breads, pudding, smoothies, cookies, salads, & more! They have a neutral taste & they take on the flavor of anything you add them to.

I'm so excited to use these tiny little seeds!

They are a bit pricey! I found them at my natural food store for $1.35 per ounce. I only purchased 2 ounces this time. I wanted to make sure I liked them first!


 
I also found them on Amazon for 0.85 cents per ounce. I'll definitely be purchasing them from here, unless I find them cheaper somewhere else.
 
Here is the recipe I used for the overnight oatmeal.
 
I made 2 flavors chocolate banana & blueberry maple. My favorite was the chocolate banana of course! I'm thinking about adding strawberries instead of bananas next time. Yummy!
 
Chocolate banana
 

  • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds (I used 1 tsp.)
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon honey, optional
  • 1/4 cup diced ripe banana, or enough to fill jar (approx. half of a small banana)

  •  
    In a pint jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cocoa powder and honey. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add bananas and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.

     
    Blueberry Maple
     
                           1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
                                               1/3 cup skim milk
                                     1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
                                   1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
                          2 teaspoons maple syrup (more or less to taste)
                              1/4 cup blueberries (or enough to fill jar)
    In a pint jar, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and maple syrup. Put lid on jar and shake until well combined. Remove lid, add blueberries and stir until mixed throughout. Return lid to jar and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days. Eat chilled.
     
     


    Have you ever heard of chia seeds?
    Are you willing to try them?

     
     
     
     



     
     
     
    

    1 comment:

    1. I haven't ever tried them but I would be willing. Very interesting! I am curious about what else you eat them on?

      ReplyDelete